Monday, March 5, 2012

O is for "Ordinary People," by Betty Mitchell

This is another story by a former student. We miss Betty and hope she will come back to visit us soon. She was a great addition to our class and wrote many good stories, including her own ABC book about her life.

When I first joined this memoir class I didn’t have a clue about how to put my memories down on paper. They were so ordinary. After hearing some of the stories others wrote, I found out that what I had to say could be of interest to my family, particularly to my grandchildren. Now the task begins. With the help of others I received the confidence in myself to take pen in hand and start writing. Remembering some of the things that happened in what I thought as an ordinary period of my life brought back an outpouring of other memories, some happy and some not so happy. I’m still learning and getting braver in my writing. I am so thankful for all of these ordinary people I have met in this class.

3 comments:

  1. Although we are all ordinary people, we are truly unique as well. We all have unique experiences regarding our families and childhood that are interesting for others to hear about. Writing about your experiences opens up a whole new world, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you I have learned ( from Bonnie Mansell) that there is magic in the ordinary.
    I'd love to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betty, You have described us all at the beginning of our attendance in Bonnie's class. I know I thought myself very ordinary when I began. Now I see ordinary people who are very unique in writing their stories.

    ReplyDelete